Friday, October 10, 2014

New painting app

I recently stumbled upon a new drawing app for my iPad called Procreate. I had to read their online manual to figure out all of the gestures used, but for the most part my skills in Photoshop carried over pretty easily. It has a lot of the same tools, dozens of brushes (and you can make more) and it has a built in function that records your brushstrokes, so once you finish a painting in the app you can export a video that shows the whole drawing process.

This is a video of a quick drawing I did for a children's book idea I've been mulling over. While it's hard to pick up the details while it's being played back 20x faster, but you can easily see the different brushes available, less obvious are the different blending modes for layers, the useful selection tools, and their cool new paint bucket feature. Procreate costs about $6, which is expensive as far as apps go, but for a drawing program that's so versatile it's worth the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment